After completing the cognitive portion of the course, students practice and test their skills with an AHA Instructor or on a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system. Upon successful completion of the cognitive and skills tests, students receive a course completion card.
This program is for healthcare professionals seeking an alternative (non-classroom) method for completing an initial or renewal BLS for Healthcare Providers Course.
- 14 BLS video lessons and two video tutorials
- Updated science-based content
- Interactive adult, child and infant cases presented through eSimulation technology
- Debriefing and corrective actions provided after each simulation case
- Access to course for 2 years following activation of course key
- Access to BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual and 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Printable BLS for Healthcare Providers Pocket Reference Card
AHA Training Centers
eLearningPurchase and complete eLearning and blended learning courses
Go to OnlineAHA.org to register and complete online courses.
- Key changes in basic life support, reflecting new science from the 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Critical concepts of high-quality CPR
- The American Heart Association Chain of Survival
- 1-Rescuer CPR and AED for adult, child and infant
- 2-Rescuer CPR and AED for adult, child and infant
- Differences between adult, child and infant rescue techniques
- Bag-mask techniques for adult, child and infant
- Rescue breathing for adult, child and infant
- Relief of choking for adult, child and infant
- CPR with an Advanced Airway*
Instructor MaterialsInstructors should refer to the document, “Training Memo: BLS HCP and Heartsaver eLearning Skills Practice and Testing Requirements 6/1/11.”
This document is posted on the AHA Instructor Network (opens new window) under Courses > HeartCode® BLS Part 1.
Student Materials90-1404 HeartCode® BLS Part 1 Key
Part 1 can be completed in approximately 1 to 2 hours; time to complete a skills practice and testing session (Parts 2 and 3) varies.
eLearning (online lessons blended with hands-on skills session)
AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers course completion card, valid for two years. To receive a course completion card using this program, students must complete three parts:
- HeartCode BLS Part 1. Upon successful completion of the online portion, including the written exam, students receive a Part 1 certificate of completion, which must be presented for parts 2 and 3.
- Part 2*, a hands-on skills practice session with an AHA BLS Instructor or using a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) system
- Part 3*, a skills test with an AHA BLS Instructor or using a VAM system
The skills practice and skills testing session is sold separately.
Frequently Asked Questions for HeartCode BLS Part 1
Q: Does the AHA determine the cost for all training courses and the accompanying course materials?
A: Costs for courses and materials are determined by Training Centers or Instructors and may vary. The AHA does not regulate price; however, provides its authorized distributors suggested retail pricing on course materials.